You’ve noticed your teeth and even your jaw, have been hurting lately, especially at night. Before the pain gets worse, you know before long that it probably needs to be looked at by your regular dentist. However, is a trip to the dentist going to be enough or should you see an oral specialist? More importantly, how do you even find out? Ahead, we’ll discuss what you need to know about oral surgery and choosing an oral surgeon in Port Macquarie.
What is Oral Surgery?
Oral surgery pertains to any surgery that is performed in and around the mouth and jaw. There are many types of oral surgeries, such as tooth removal and root canals that can be performed by a dentist. However, oral specialists perform more complicated oral surgeries, such as treating TMJ/TMD or performing bone grafts for a better denture fit.
Common Types of Oral Surgery
The most common types of oral surgeries for the teeth and jaw include:
- Root canal
- Tooth implants
- Teeth and jaw repair after an accident
- Impacted wisdom teeth
- Gum graft
- Maxillofacial surgery
What is Maxillofacial Surgery?
Maxillofacial surgery is a surgical specialty focusing on complex facial surgeries. It includes procedures that treat diseases and trauma that affect the neck and head but excludes the brain. Injuries and conditions treated by a maxillofacial surgeon include complicated malocclusions, tumors and cysts of the jaw and underlying pathologies.
When Would I Need Oral Surgery?
For tooth and jaw procedures that extend beyond a dentist’s expertise, you might need oral surgery. For instance, if you have wisdom teeth stuck below the gum line, you may need to see an oral surgeon. However, if you have advanced gum disease and need a gum graft, you would be hard-pressed to find a general dentist who performs this type of oral surgery. Instead, a periodontist is who you would need for this type of procedure.
The Best Oral Surgery Port Macquarie
When it comes to choosing the best oral surgeon Port Macquarie has to offer, the best approach is to take it in stages. The guide below has a few specific things to look for in your search:
- Your dentist’s referral – A dentist is one of the best resources for finding the best oral surgeon nearest to you. In light of that, discuss referrals with your family dentist’s office.
- Your family and friend’s recommendations – While your family and friends may not be dental professionals, chances are good that they know a surgeon who did a good oral surgery job. Ask them about the oral surgeon that made them feel the most comfortable.
- Experience and Training – The recommendation you received may be for more than one oral surgeon. To narrow it down, look for a surgeon who has specific training in their field. Even better, find one that has loads of expertise in your particular procedure.
- Professional Memberships – Find out if your surgeon is a member of any professional organizations. Does he or she have any accolades or awards?
- Social Media – For some, social media is the first place to search and find out about a service or product. That applies to dentistry and oral health surgeons, too. This is particularly helpful if you receive more than one referral. Nevertheless, only use social media for your search after you’ve spoken to your dentist and determined what oral services you need.
- Practice Information – The best oral surgeons will also have an excellent, established practice so look for a practice that has a good reputation and a professional environment.
- Insurance and Payment Plans – You’ll want to make sure your insurance plan covers the treatment. Also, make sure that payment plans and financing are an option if you are uninsured or your insurance plan only covers part of the procedure.
The Best Dentist Port Macquarie: Star Dental
If you are in pain or believe you require oral surgery, we can help. Dr. Jeremy Rourke of the Star Dental Practice has a legacy of over 40 years as a Registered Dentist. He has the expertise to determine what kind of procedure you need and can refer you to an excellent Port Macquarie area oral surgeon.
To find out more, phone us at 65836111 or contact us online today to request an appointment.
My name is Jeremy Rourke. I’m part of a family of dentists with my father, brother, cousin and nephew also being dentists. I won a University of Sydney Dental Alumni prize for being the top student in my year and graduated with Honours in 1971. I have been a Registered dentist for over 40 years. In that time I have created a few “firsts” in my efforts to stay ahead.